Usually the first question I get from people who want to start their own blog is, how do I get my blog name? This tutorial assumes you want to own your own .com and be a self-hosted website, meaning you are not going to be hosted through blogger or WordPress.com. Please keep in mind you can still use WordPress for free and on your self-hosted blog, but you’ll be using it through your own site rather than through WordPress.com
Domain Purchasing and Hosting
You actually need to buy two things when you want to own your own domain. First, you need to secure the domain name (yourname.com for example). Once you’ve done that, you need to find a hosting provider that (in easiest terms) gives you the space on the web and the ability to actually put things on your website.
I personally use and recommend GoDaddy for domain purchasing and hosting because I like getting them both from one place, I find them extremely affordable, and above all else, I love the 24/7 live support.
Buying a Domain and Hosting via GoDaddy
If you chose to purchase through GoDaddy, here are some easy directions (as of September 2013) you can follow to ensure you purchase the right thing.
- Go to GoDaddy.com and set up an account right away.
- Go back to the home page and search for the domain name you want.
- Once you find one available, click “Add” (you don’t need any of the extra options they may offer you).
- Along the top, click on “Get website hosting”.
- Click on the plan you want. I usually recommend people get the the Deluxe one so because it gives you the option down the road to own multiple domains under one account which makes it very affordable, but if you don’t think you’ll do that any time soon, you can go with the lowest plan.
- You can pick if you want to pay month or pay in advance per month (I recommend yearly because you’ll save more). Add to cart.
- Then it will most likely ask you to add extra stuff, (via a pop-up). Don’t add anything. Everything you need it comes with (including email address).
- In your cart you’ll see “Deluxe Web Hosting Linux”, if it says windows stop in your tracks because you need the Linux one.
- Check out!
- Ps.. be sure to Google “GoDaddy Coupon Code” as you can usually find good ones and save money
If you have any confusion or run into any challenges, call GoDaddy directly and they can do this all for you over the phone. Be sure they understand you want to:
- Buy the domain name
- Buy a Linux hosting package (and know which one of the plans you want)
If you have any questions or run into any challenges, feel free to leave a comment below and I can do my best to help!
[Update: Check out part two in this series, how to install and set up WordPress!]